Chocolate Blinis With Artisan Edibles’ Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney and Orange Cream
(Inspired by the Autumn 2013 issue of Food and Drink Magazine)
2 tbsp. (30ml) unsalted butter, plus extra for frying
2 tbsp. (30ml) water
1 tsp. (5ml) instant espresso or coffee, powder
4 oz. (125 grams) 70% chocolate, chopped
2 egg yolks
¼ cup (60ml) sugar
½ tsp. (2ml) vanilla extract
¼ cup (60ml) cake and pastry flour
1 tsp. (5ml) baking powder
Juice of one orange
½ cup (125ml) whipping cream
2 tbsp. (30ml) sugar
To make the chocolate blinis, combine butter and 2 tbsp. (30ml) water in a saucepan in a bowl set over simmering water. Once butter has melted, add espresso powder and chopped chocolate. Stir until chocolate has melted. Set aside.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until tripled in volume, about 4 minutes; beat in vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Fold chocolate mixture into eggs; stir in flour mixture until just combined. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Melt 1 tbsp. (15ml) butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium low-heat. Once foaming, drop 1 tbsp (15ml) batter into pan at a time to form blinis. Cook gently on one side (blinis will burn if heat is too high – adjust heat to low if necessary) in batches for about 2 minutes; turn and cook an additional minute. Repeat with remaining butter, refreshing butter as needed. (Blinis will keep, stored between sheets of parchment and tightly covered, at room temperature for one day.)
To make orange cream, bring orange juice to a boil over medium heat in a small saucepan. Reduce to 1 tbsp. (15ml) and immediately pour into a medium sized mixing bowl; cool. Add whipping cream to bowl and, using an electric mixer, beat until medium peaks form. Sprinkle sugar over and continue to beat until stiff peaks form
To assemble, top blinis with a dollop of cream and Artisan Edibles’ Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney. Excellent as a breakfast or dessert item!
Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney
- A Quick & Easy Appie with Artisan Edibles Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney
- Ancho Chili Chocolate Brownies With Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney
- Chocolate Blinis With Artisan Edibles’ Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney and Orange Cream
- Crispy Tofu Popsicles with Artisan Edibles Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney
- Crostini With Artisan Edibles Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney, Jicama and Ricotta/Chèvre
- Duck Breast with Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney
- Indian Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Artisan Edibles Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney
- Lentil Tagine Topped with Greek Yogurt and Artisan Edibles Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney
- Phyllo Purses Filled with Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney & Chèvre
- Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Rhubarb Sour Cherry Chutney